Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Truth About the Wonderful Prospect


I thought interested parties might like to check out this interview with Werner Herzog on Gothamist where he talks about Encounters at the End of the World, and blows the lid off the rumors about his remaking Bad Lieutenant . Below is my favorite excerpt:

True, much of it is very funny but what stuck with me most at the end are the sublime aspects of it. The latter part, where you get the sounds of the seals and the underwater footage, to me they suggest not just otherworldliness, but a divine intelligence. Do you agree? Are you trying to persuade me to become an adherent of creationism?

Not necessarily, but to me the sounds of the seals, for instance, suggests something supernatural. No, it doesn’t. It only suggests the sounds, and they are wonderful and sublime. I wouldn’t read anything God-like into it. However, creation itself, as it is, has something magnificent, and the film celebrates it, the film names it, the films shows it. And the film ends like that. And I like this notion; you do not often have a chance in a movie to show things that are of utmost beauty, and of course the music has a big part in showing a certain sacredness in what we have in front of us.

Also head over to American/Mexican for Natasha's take on the Moving Image Source event we both worked very hard drinking wine at.

No comments: