Thursday, August 7, 2008

Things to watch in the summertime



Heathers will be closed for renovations on our usual night, so there won’t be a screening this month. Robbed of this opportunity to force people to see movies, I’d like to take a moment and really encourage people to go to a Rooftop Films movie. I’ve been volunteering for them this summer a few times a month, and as far as I know everyone I’ve coerced into coming to watch movies has really enjoyed eating chocolate* and hanging out on a nice roof watching a movie. You can check out some of the shorts they’ve shown online at IFC (but none of the ones I’ve really loved, you can look at those here and here.)

Consequently, I strongly encourage attending Song Sung Blue at Roosevelt Island on August 16, if you love Neil Diamond as much as I do (and its free!), or Flying on One Engine on August 22 if you can’t bear to leave Williamsburg and you also must have free booze. I’ll be at both these screenings helping out in whatever way I can which usually involves stacking chairs. I must note however, that both the films I’ve recommended aren’t actually showing on a roof. The roof above is the Rooftop homebase, the Old American Can Factory. Find a screening that’s happening there, in the schedule—it’s a really pleasant roof. Actually, I also feel compelled to mention that last Saturday there was a screening not on a roof-- at The Yard -- and magically these Mexican food people who are usually at the Redhook Ballfields showed up and were making incredible tacos, so if you go to a screening that’s happening there, this good fortune may befall you. Also, bring bug spray. Or find me, I’ll have some.

I Like to Watch will be back in September. Email me if you want to watch something specific.

*chocolate doesn’t come with the movie, you have to bring your own. You can also most likely sneak in your own booze, and get drunk for free after the movie.

No comments: